Morning Post

Normally, I write a weekly post for this blog fairly late at night. But given that I've now got an extra half hour in the mornings I never knew I had, I thought I'd write this one early. Fuelled by granola, obviously. Yes, my stocks of granola are like Willy Wonka's gobstoppers: never ending. Compared with some, though, this isn't early at all. I woke up to an email from a friend this morning, sent at 4.17am, blaming menopausal insomnia. All the fun! Perhaps I should send her some of my granola - I have plenty. Just one more thing to share this morning, a photo of Youngest Girl and Middle Boy selling cakes outside the village shop last weekend. They wanted to raise money for the refugees, they said, after talking about it at school. They raised nearly £20 and we paid it to Save The Children's Child Refugee Crisis Appeal here.

Current white in the fridge: Saint Veran 2014, £11, M&S
This is what Chardonnay looks like if you grow it on limestone soils, give it lots of - but not too much - sun and just a little touch of oak to finish it off. It's ripe and peachy, but subtle too. Basically, a really good way to enjoy a smart white burgundy without the usual price tag. Would go brilliantly with fish pie if I could be arsed to make one. Works with roast chicken just as well. Not granola, though (sadly). 

Current red on the side: Definition Cotes du Rhone 2014, £8.99 if you buy 2, Majestic
This is a new range from Majestic, two years in development apparently, which hopes to showcase definitive styles from different regions. There's six wines already in store, including Provence Rose, Pinot Grigio, Sancerre, Chablis, Prosecco and this one, with more to come. They're nicely packaged (if a bit self-conscious inasmuch as a wine label can be - I know you know what I mean). Majestic kindly sent me these to try, so I'll highlight the good ones. Staring with this: a juicy, bright, bramble fruit-flavoured red from the Rhone made from the usual cocktail of grapes. Simple, but delicious. 

Chin chin x

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,