Como Toes

So, I went to Lake Como last week. I won't go on about it (much) but SERIOUSLY. One of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. And we had a Very Famous Person on our flight out. I realised something was up when one of the air stewards practically exploded with excitement and mouthed to another that aforementioned VFP was more beautiful - and taller - than he'd imagined, IRL. I couldn't see anyone famous among us on the plane but on landing I raced to the Ladies leaving the Husband by the luggage carousel. Not just to stalk, I promise. I really did need a wee. And there, in huge dark glasses, standing right in front of me by the sinks and on her phone, was Cheryl. Cheryl! Fernandez-Versini! Now, I've said some fairly stupid things to famous people over the years in my attempt to be friendly/appear normal - it happened a lot when I did The Alan Titchmarsh Show; Joan Collins being a particular low point - but this time, I was speechless. I just smiled before darting in to the loo (was desperate). FYI, she looked absolutely gorgeous, all in black and with beautiful shoes. I spent the next four days in a kaftan and sandals. In my head, I was channeling Talitha Getty in Morocco. Turns out I looked more Princess Margaret in Mustique. I'll leave you with my two-toned feet. I know, so stylish.
Como toes. I blame Prosecco.
Current white in the fridge: Piemonte Chardonnay 2014, £7.50, M&S
Piemonte (or Piedmont) is one of the most hedonistic regions in Italy when it comes to food and wine. Famous for its truffles and wines made from the Nebbiolo grape (including Barolo), the white wines of the region are rather more quietly brilliant and some are definitely worth sniffing out. This one's an unoaked Chardonnay but it's still pretty weighty with lots of peachy flavours. Smashing to sip whilst catching up on the Wimbledon highlights.  

Current red in the rack: Taste The Difference Rioja Reserva 2008, £7 on offer (normally £10), Sainsbury's
So, this is a gem. If you're in the mood for a smooth, oaky (but not too much) kind of red with black fruits and spice, this is great value with £3 off the normal price at the mo. It's got the whole gold wire thing going on, and a crest and lots of gold on the label - Rioja labelling by numbers - but it's what's on the inside that counts, obviously. In this case, a lovely blend of Tempranillo and Graciano grapes. Just add something meaty and you're set. 

Chin chin x

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,