Fete Accompli

Last Saturday, we went to a local fete in the grounds of a nearby stately. It's one of my favourites, complete with dog show (including a dogs-who-look-like-their-owners round), a Punch & Judy show and a myriad of stalls including cake, plant and bottle. I won a bottle of Amaretto on the latter, which was a bit coals to Newcastle but I'm not complaining, obviously. Anyway, it was the first of a run of local fetes; next up is the school fete on Saturday. This year, I'm on cream teas. I've never been on cream teas before and I think it basically means I'm one of the Older Mums. It was only a matter of time, I know.

Current white in the fridge: Nekora Verdejo 2014, £9, M&S
I went to a big wine tasting today at the M&S head office of all their new wines. Again, not complaining. This one's from Spain's Rueda region and is made from the lemony Verdejo grape (also known as Verdelho in Portugal and Australia). It's had a bit of lees ageing, where the wine's left on the dead yeasts after fermentation for a short while, which adds a bit of texture and flavour to the wine. Deliciously fresh with a whiff of nectarines.

Current red in the rack: Marques de Casa Concha Syrah, £7.99 on offer, Tesco
If you're in the mood for a big red, this is one such. Made by Chilean giants Concha Y Toro from Syrah grapes grown on a single estate in the Maipo Valley. It's got a ton of bramble fruits, loads of spice and smooth vanilla flavours. Really, really smart wine for the money but as mentioned, it's not a shy wine. Rather more shouty, actually. Think Punch rather than Judy.

Chin chin x

Labels: , , , , , , ,